Daily practice of meditation is possibly the best habit you could ever cultivate in your daily life. Just this one habit will act as a catalyst in improving every dimension of your life. As days pass by you will discover that you have become more proficient in the ways you carry out your daily tasks and responsibilities. Meditation is far easier than all other activities you perform. And is simply the best thing you can do. At the end of the article, we will list out benefits and a simple technique of meditation to practice daily.
It not difficult to start Meditation but to make it a part of your daily routine is. The fruits of meditation are reaped by toiling hard every day in its practice. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step and each day of meditation is a step towards perfection. But when you do not practice for a day, you take two steps back. A simple meditation practice for just 15 mins will have its effect throughout the day, helping you make easier decisions and manage work more efficiently.
Why Meditate Daily?
By giving our attention only to the outside world we remain on the circumference of the circle of totally and we won’t be able to reach the center. With daily meditation, we explore areas of the mind which have been lying dormant and opening subtle layers of the mind.
So start your inner journey, you’ve been traveling outside all your life. Don’t look for other’s experiences, it’s time to have your own!
Meditative and Non-Meditative Mind
Now let us understand the difference it makes to have a meditative mind. Consider the mind as a pond and the ripples be thoughts in it and bottom of the lake be the instincts and habits that you have developed over the years, which can be triggered by thoughts.
For a non-practitioner of meditation, a single thought can cause subsequent thoughts just like a ripple causing other ripples to form and the whole attention of the mind is scattered on these various ripples. All this happens within a fraction of a second and you are completely lost in thoughts.
For someone with a Meditative mind, his mind is always under control and he/she is ever conscious of the incoming thoughts and therefore the very first ripple of distraction can be removed before it causes subsequent ripples of thoughts.
Daily Meditation Practice: Technique
Know as Kaya Sthairyam, this is an ancient method in which awareness of the body is developed step by step and intensified progressively until you become unaware of the body. The bodily awareness will no longer be a hindrance to meditation and it’s practice. The Sanskrit word Kaya means ‘body’ and Sthairyam means ‘steadiness’. This technique will prepare you for higher stages of meditation and can be used as a preliminary mediation method before performing other techniques of meditations.
- Sit in any comfortable meditation posture
- Close your eyes
- Relax the body and make necessary adjustments so as to make no further movements.
- Become aware of the whole body, feel the body steady like a statue.
- Become more and more aware of this stillness.
- If you feel any discomfort or tension on any part of the body, focus your attention there and observe as the tension fades away.
- Now become aware to the right foot, keep the focus on the right foot.
- Shift your awareness to the left foot, keep the focus on the left foot.
- Next transfer the awareness to the right leg, after sometime shift your awareness to the left leg.
- Similarly shift awareness to the whole back, abdomen, chest, right arm, left arm, neck, head and finally the whole body.
Steps 4 to 10 is one round. Do as many rounds you’d like. Intensify the awareness in each part of the body in steps 7-10. The body will soon start to feel very stiff and rigid, you will feel that the body is separate from yourself. Once this stage has been achieved, you can move on to other meditation techniques which require internal awareness.
Benefits of Daily Meditation
- The mind of a man can be made to transcend ordinary experience
- Increases blood flow and slows down the heart rate in the body, which in turn helps you to lower the stress levels naturally.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis, etc.
- Helps in healing blocked emotions.
- The mind will be quite steady like the flame in a windless place as the disturbing thoughts have been removed and concentrated to single-pointedness.
- Increasing the immune system in the body can also lead to the prevention of chronic diseases.
- One of the major diseases that can be controlled due to meditation is asthma. It gives relief from asthma and gives a great orderliness of brain functioning.
- Helps the mind to focus and concentrate thus improving learning ability and memory.
- Makes you feel younger physically and mentally.
- Helps the human brain react more quickly and patiently during a stressful event.
- Decreases potential mental illness and makes you less aggressive and enhances your behavior towards your loved ones and society.
- Helps you sleep soundly and quickly. It is very beneficial for people having insomnia.
- Reduces the addiction of smoking, alcoholism, drugs and also helps in reducing the need for pharmaceuticals or medications.
- Helps you develop emotional maturity thus making you take more accurate judgments in life.
- It purifies your character and your relations with your loved ones both professionally as well as personally.
- Reduces restlessness, overthinking and increases your listening skills and empathy.
- Helps you work in a constructive way and hence gives you a way to lead a stable, balanced and successful life. Helps you ignore petty issues and give you the ability to see a larger picture in life.
- Develops your willpower, boosts your self-confidence, and also improves your communication skills.